Saturday 9 April 2011

Education - Part 2

Primary and Secondary School

I remember that I was not really good in education from standard 1 up to standard 3. But in standard 4, I started to catch up and my pick up was tremendous. By end of the year I was group in standard 5A, an elite class. In this year we have Peperiksaan Penilaian Darjah 5 (Valuation Exam for Standard 5). The result from this exam will be graded. Five core subjects are included in the exam.

I think the basic rules and principles are similar with the today's UPSR. The only different is that we have the exam in Standard 5 whilst UPSR is in Standard 6. The result from this exam will decide what secondary school we are in Form 1. If the result is good, 5A for example, one stands very good chance to be admitted into the Government's boarding elite schools, such as MRSM, Science Schools, Royal Military College and many more.

My result for Standard 5 exam is just moderate and I failed to qualify for the minimum requirements for boarding school. But, I still maintain my presence in the elite class for the Standard 6, the final class in Primary School. By this year I was good in English, Malay Literature and History subjects but just moderate in Science and Geography. I finished 6th in my final exam for Standard 6. I was not selected for a Form 1 Removed Class in Sultan Sulaiman Secondary School (SSSS) because I was not active in sport. At that time, SSSS was one of the best English based Secondary School in Terengganu. They have provided some removed classes for Malay language students selected throughout the state. The classes were just to convert the basic language from Malay to English. It meant that a student like me would have to spend 1 year just to learn English in SSSS.

My father did not agree with this Removed class and much more preferred me to go to normal Malay basic Secondary School because I can save 1 year for my education. So, I went to Batu Buruk Secondary School ( today Seri Budiman Secondary School ) to continue my study in secondary school. The school was newly constructed and I was in the second badge of the school, which was first called as Sekolah Menengah Gong Pak Maseh.


the background building is still standing...my Form 3 class was in the 2nd floor in 1973

At that time, the school has only 2 double storey primary buildings connected with 2 ways steps and a crossover bridge in the middle. No assembly hall, surau or library for us. Apart from the 2 buildings was the temporary canteen just next to them. But we have a very spacious sports complex with 2 football fields, a rugby field, one netball field and an athletes track too.Today, all those fields are filled with new buildings, hall , library and canteen, leaving only a football field. Even the Government managed to construct a new Secondary School call Padang Negara Secondary School in the original area of Seri Budiman school. The 2 schools are sharing the same football field today.


the hall of Seri Budiman school today


No comments:

Post a Comment