Sunday 10 April 2011

Education - Part 3

...continue from Part 2 - Primary and Secondary School

Similar with Standard 1in primary school, I was not good also in Form 1in secondary school. I was placed in Form 1A2 at Batu Buruk Secondary School. This class is a moderate class where students were not really good. This was in the year of 1971. We were in Malay Medium.

But, in the next year of 1972, I was placed in Form 2A1, an elite class. This year was the starting moment for me in concentrating for the Sijil Rendah Pelajaran (SRP) exam. Students in Malay Medium will have to sit for SRP exam whilst those in English Medium will sit for the Lower Certificate of Education (LCE). Both SRP and LCE were equivalent in terms of standard and necessities. Nowadays, they are called as Penilaian Menengah Rendah exam or PMR in its abbreviation.

I have my own time table for my study and revision at home. I admit that I have been studied very hard for the SRP exam. This was due to my target that I want to continue my study in the Government's boarding schools. I have a good result for my SRP which was held in 1973 and was then offered to join Form 4 in Science Pahang Secondary School, Gambang, Pahang. This school was a full pure science school where I have to study Biology, Chemistry and Physic subjects apart from the Additional Mathematics, Modern Mathematics, Islamic Knowledge, Bahasa Malaysia and English. 

I notice that I was very bad in Additional Math subject as well as all the science subjects for the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) exam or Malaysian Certificate of Education (MCE) exam. May be I was not meant for science stream. But then I was brilliant in Bahasa Malaysia, English and Islamic Knowledge. I have credit for Modern Math, but failed the Add Math and Chemistry. I have credit for Biology but just pass for Physic subjects. That was in 1975. Based on the result I was more interested to go for literature class in Form Six.

I was then selected to join Lower Six Form for literature class in Alam Shah School in 1976, another boarding school located at Cheras Kuala Lumpur, more popular with the abbreviation of SASKL. Here I must sit for Sjil Tinggi Persekolahan (STP) exam or Higher Certificate of Education (HCE) exam which shall be taken in the Upper Six Form.



In 1977 I sat for STP exam at SASKL and obtained a remarkable result. I also have been selected as second best student for that exam.

 Since I have good result for Bahasa Malaysia, English and History subject in STP my teacher  recommended me to apply for a law degree course at University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur. I did applied the same and was offered to join the course in 1978...

...to be continued.






No comments:

Post a Comment